2016 will mark the 6th year that the Raleigh, NC area has been hosting an event on the national USA Beach Jr Tour. Formerly called the Carolina Open in 2011 and 2012, the event achieved Grand Slam status in 2013 for being one of the highest attended events on the entire tour. Grand Slam status allows us to award more points for teams that participate as part of the national ranking system and each division gets up to 5 bids to the national championships.
In 2013-2015 we saw around 140-160 teams participate each year and we hope to achieve that many, if not more, for 2016. Several teams earning bids at this event have gone on to participate at the national championships including in 2014 the Girls 16U team of Kylie Grandy/Genna Simpkins, who became national champions, and the Girls 18U team of Katie McCullough/Kimberly Hovey, who finished 3rd, in their respective age divisions.
2016 Event Highlights:
- Support for up to 180 teams across 3 sites over 2 days.
- Top 5 finishers in each age division (top 2 in boys divisions) earn bids to USA Jr Beach Tour Championships (Milwaukee, WI- July 22-24,2016) plus at least 2 travel stipends (each valued at $400/team) will be offered as a raffle drawing that all teams earning a nationals bid and interested in making the trip will be eligible.
Note: The maximum number of teams and locations listed below are preliminary estimates and may adjust based on how registration numbers come in as we approach the event dates. Stay tuned!
- Saturday, May 14
- Girls 14U (50 teams max) – Southern Sand Complex
- Girls 12U (20 teams max) – Green Hope Elementary School Park
- Boys 14U (10 teams max) – Green Hope Elementary School Park (if enough to not combine with Girls 14U at Southern Sand Complex)
- Sunday, May 15
- Girls 18U (25 teams max) – Southern Sand Complex
- Girls 16U (60 teams max) – Southern Sand Complex + Green Hope Elementary School Park + N. Cary Park
- Boys 18/16U Combined Division (5 teams max) – N. Cary Park
- Southern Sand Complex at Hope Chapel (10 courts) – 6175 Old Jenks Rd, Apex, NC 27523
- N. Cary Park (4 courts) – 1100 Norwell Blvd, Cary, NC 27513
- Green Hope Elementary School Park (4 courts) – 2750 Louis Stephens Dr, Cary, NC 27519
Lodging – Preferred Hotels:
- Courtyard Marriott – 102 Edinburgh Dr. Cary, NC. Nearest hotel to the Southern Sand Complex (about 5 minutes)
- Residence Inn Marriott – 2900 Regency Pkwy, Cary, NC (about 7 minutes away from Southern Sand Complex)
- On-Site Lunch Available Both Days at the Southern Sand Complex from 11AM-1PM by Deli-icious Food Truck which offers high-quality, non-fried food options (paninis, quesadillas, salads, and more)
Full-Day session on each day. Check-in from 7:00Am to 7:30AM. Competition will start around 8:00AM and wrap-up by 4PM (weather permitting).
Divisions will consist of pools of 4 or 5 teams played in round robin fashion. For large divisions such as Girls 14U and Girls 16U, the top 2 teams from each pool advance to a Championship Bracket with the next 2 teams in each pool going into a Silver Bracket. The Championship Bracket will compete for the 5 national bids on the line. Smaller divisions will have various sized Championships playoffs based on final registration numbers and designed to get as many teams as possible involved in at least one round of playoffs.
Cost/Registration (per team)
Early Bird – $60 by April 27, 12:00 pm PST
Regular – $70 by May 11, 12:00 pm PST
Late – $90 by May 13, 12:00 pm PST
Registration is through USA Beach instead of Southern Sand Volleyball.
It is strongly recommended to form your team and sign-up early. In addition to getting the early-bird rate you guarantee yourself a spot.
Current Registrations – 125 teams – Last update 5/10/2016
A Special Thanks to Our Carolina Grand Slam Event Sponsors: