2017 will mark the 7th year that the Raleigh, NC area has been hosting an event on the national USA Beach Jr Tour. Formerly called the Carolina Open in 2011 and 2012, the event achieved Grand Slam status in 2013 for being one of the highest attended events on the entire tour. Grand Slam status allows us to award more points for teams that participate as part of the national ranking system and each division gets up to 5 bids to the national championships.
From 2013-2016 around 140-160 teams have participated each year. Several players/teams earning bids at this event have gone on to participate at the national championships with highlights including the 2016 Girls 12U national champions Riley Buckley and Gracie Ballard, 2014 Girls 16U national champions Kylie Grandy and Genna Simpkins, and some semi-finalist finishes as well.
2017 Event Highlights:
- Support for up to 180 teams across 3 sites over 2 days.
- Top 5 finishers in each age division (top 2 in boys divisions) earn bids to USA Jr Beach Tour Championships (2017 Location TBA).
Note: The maximum number of teams and locations listed below are preliminary estimates and may adjust based on how registration numbers come in as we approach the event dates. Stay tuned!
- Saturday, May 13
- Girls 16U (50 teams max) – Southern Sand Complex
- Girls 12U (20 teams max) – Green Hope Elementary School Park
- Boys 12U and 16U (10 teams max in each) – N. Cary Park
- Sunday, May 14
- Girls 18U (30 teams max) – Southern Sand Complex
- Girls 14U (40 teams max) – Southern Sand Complex + Green Hope Elementary School Park
- Boys 14U and 18U(10 teams max in each) – N. Cary Park
- Southern Sand Complex at Hope Chapel (10 courts) – 6175 Old Jenks Rd, Apex, NC 27523
- N. Cary Park (4 courts) – 1100 Norwell Blvd, Cary, NC 27513
- Green Hope Elementary School Park (4 courts) – 2750 Louis Stephens Dr, Cary, NC 27519
Lodging – Preferred Hotels:
- Courtyard Raleigh Cary Marriott – 102 Edinburgh Dr. Cary, NC. Nearest hotel to the Southern Sand Complex (about 5 minutes)
- Please note: Due to college graduations this same weekend, demand will be high so a block has been setup at this hotel for those attending this event. A special rate of $99/night has been set aside for only a few rooms. Once the rooms are booked, that is likely it at the discounted rate. You must call Marriott Reservations at 1 (800) 321-2211 or (919) 481-9666 Option 1 on or before Friday, April 21, 2017 and mention you are with the Southern Sand Volleyball group at this hotel. Or use this link to book online.
- On-Site Lunch Options (11AM-1PMish each day)
- Sat – TBA
- Sun – Sarge’s Chef on Wheels
Full-Day session on each day. Check-in from 7:00Am to 7:30AM. Competition will start around 8:00AM and wrap-up by 4PM (weather permitting).
Divisions will consist of pools of 4 or 5 teams played in round robin fashion. For large divisions such as Girls 14U and Girls 16U, the top 2 teams from each pool advance to a Championship Bracket with the next 2 teams in each pool going into a Silver Bracket. The Championship Bracket will compete for the 5 national bids on the line. Smaller divisions will have various sized Championships playoffs based on final registration numbers and designed to get as many teams as possible involved in at least one round of playoffs.
Cost/Registration (per team)
Early Bird – $60 by April 28, 12:00 pm PST
Regular – $80 by May 10, 12:00 pm PST
Late – $100 after May 10, 12:01 pm PST
Registration is through USA Beach instead of Southern Sand Volleyball.
It is strongly recommended to form your team and sign-up early. In addition to getting the early-bird rate you guarantee yourself a spot.
Current Registrations will be updated here periodically…
A Special Thanks to Our Carolina Grand Slam Event Sponsors: