2014 will mark the 4th year that the Raleigh, NC area has been hosting an event on the national USA Beach Jr Tour. Formerly called the Carolina Open in 2011 and 2012, the event achieved Grand Slam status in 2013 for being one of the highest attended events on the entire tour. Grand Slam status allows us to award more points for teams that participate as part of the national ranking system and each division gets up to 5 bids to the national championships.
In 2013 we saw 144 teams participate and we hope to achieve that many, if not more, for 2014. Of the national championship bid winners from the event, 7 teams made the trip to compete at nationals in 2013. Top overall finishers from NC were a 5th place for Girls 16U teams – Kylie Grandy/Genna Simpkins and Katie McCullough/Kati Smith.
2014 Event Highlights:
- Support for up to 160 teams across 3 sites over 2 days.
- Top 5 finishers in each age division earn bids to USA Jr Beach Tour Championships (Milwaukee, WI – July 25-27) plus at least 2 travel stipends (each valued at $400/team) will be offered as a raffle drawing that all teams earning a nationals bid and interested in making the trip will be eligible.
- Division winners also earn bids to the Rally Invitational Showcase & Series Championship at the LakePoint Sports Complex (North of Atlanta, GA) – August 10th
Note: The maximum number of teams and locations listed are preliminary estimates and may adjust based on how registration numbers come in as we approach the event dates. Stay tuned!
- Saturday, May 17
- Girls 18U (30 teams max) – N. Cary Park/Green Hope Elementary School Park
- Girls 16U (50 teams max) – Southern Sand Complex
- Boys 18U (5 teams max) - Green Hope Elementary School Park
- Boys 16U (5 teams max) - Green Hope Elementary School Park
- Sunday, May 18
- Girls 14U (50 teams max) - Southern Sand Complex
- Girls 12U (20 teams max) - Green Hope Elementary School Park
- Boys 14U (5 teams max) - Green Hope Elementary School Park
- Boys 12U (5 teams max) - Green Hope Elementary School Park
- Southern Sand Complex at Hope Chapel (10 courts) - 6175 Old Jenks Rd, Apex, NC 27523
- N. Cary Park (4 courts) – 1100 Norwell Blvd, Cary, NC 27513
- Green Hope Elementary School Park (4 courts) - 2750 Louis Stephens Dr, Cary, NC 27519
Lodging – Preferred Hotels:
- Courtyard Marriott – 102 Edinburgh Dr. Cary, NC. Nearest hotel to the Southern Sand Complex (about 5 minutes)
- Residence Inn Marriott – 2900 Regency Pkwy, Cary, NC (about 7 minutes away from Southern Sand Complex)
Full-Day session on each day. Check-in from 7:30Am to 8AM. Competition will start around 8:15AM and wrap-up by 4PM (weather permitting).
Divisions will consist of pools of 4 or 5 teams played in round robin fashion. For large divisions such as Girls 14U and Girls 16U, the top 2 teams from each pool advance to a Championship Bracket with the next 2 teams in each pool going into a Silver Bracket. The Championship Bracket will compete for the 5 national bids on the line. Smaller divisions will have various sized Championships playoffs based on final registration numbers and designed to get as many teams as possible involved in at least one round of playoffs.
Cost/Registration (per team)
$60 by April 30, 12PM PST
$70 by May 14, 12PM PST
$90 by May 16, 12PM PST
Registration is through USA Beach instead of Southern Sand Volleyball.
It is strongly recommended to form your team and sign-up early. In addition to getting the early-bird rate you guarantee yourself a spot.
Current Registrations - last updated on 4/7/2014 – 85 teams
A Special Thanks to Our Carolina Grand Slam Event Sponsors: