The tour-ending Carolina Region Jr Beach Tour Championships will be coming to the Southern Sand Complex in Apex (near Raleigh) on July 18, 2015 with an optional King or Queen of the Beach tournament July 19, 2015
Why the shift from Emerald Isle? If you have been involved with the Carolina Region Jr Beach tour in recent years, you know we’ve held the championships at Emerald Isle for the past 3 years. It was a tough decision to make a change. We want to thank Emerald Isle for being a great host site the past 3 years. From our perspective, it was special to offer the players a tournament on a real beach, which after all is where the sport of beach volleyball originated, and make it a beach get-a-way trip for many. Given the limited options for hosting a beach tournament on a beach in NC and now that a large inland facility is available in Apex that is centrally located for a lot of players from across the state, it was decided it would make the most sense to hold the event at the Southern Sand Complex. This will enable us to continue to make this event an extra-special, high-quality event.
Qualification for Championships (Saturday Only): Entries to the championships event on Saturday, July 18th will be reserved for teams that automatically qualify by placing 1st (or 2nd if teams/players finishing 1st have already qualified) in the highest division offered for each age group (minimum of 4 team in the age division) in any of the Carolina Region Jr Beach Tour events. If you participate in any of the following majors, teams finishing in the top 3 in the highest division offered for each age group earn an automatic bid. Based on whether any space is left after bids are awarded, we may introduce wildcards for entry into the tournament or feature non-bid divisions at the event. Please note that the King or Queen of the Beach event on Sunday is a separate event with no qualification requirements. However, some spaces will be reserved for teams that qualify for the Championships and want to stay and participate in the King or Queen of the Beach tournament, which involves players switching partners between games.
* May 16-17: Carolina Grand Slam – Apex/Cary (Note: With this being a Grand Slam on the USA JBT, top 5 finishers in each girls division will earn bids)
* May 30-May 31: Charlotte Open – Charlotte
* June 13-14: Carolina Challenge – Wilmington
* June 20: Triad Open – Kernersville/Greensboro
If a player earns a spot but has a partner who is unavailable to participate in the championships, then he/she can pick-up another player who has or has not qualified.
- Saturday, July 18 (Championships – Standard Doubles)
- Check-in starts at 8AM. Competition starts shortly after 8:30AM. Finals expected to be played in late afternoon. Season-ending awards will be announced at the conclusion of the finals. Onsite food options will be offered (details coming later).
- Efforts will be made to incorporate full match play (best 2 out of 3 sets, first 2 sets to 21, third set to 15) as space/time permits.
- Divisions: Girls 18U, 16U, 14U, 12U and Boys (based on interest)
- Sunday, July 19 (King or Queen of the Beach – optional)
- Check-in starts at Noon. Competitions starts at 12:30PM and expected to end by 6PM.
- Typically single games to 21/25/28 will be played based on pool sizes.
- Divisions (not age specific): Girls Gold, Silver, Bronze, Boys (based on interest)
Location: Southern Sand Volleyball Complex – 6175 Old Jenks Rd, Apex, NC, 27523
Host Hotels: Courtyard and Residence Inn of Cary. Closest hotels to complex (5 minutes). We have special rates available at these 2 nearby Marriott chain hotels for anyone looking for accomodations.
- The Courtyard’s special rates are available at http://cwp.marriott.com/rduca/southernsand/southernsand_RDUCA.html
- The Residence Inn’s special rates (kitchens included in rooms) are available at http://cwp.marriott.com/rduca/southernsand/southernsand_RDURY.html.
- Saturday – Championships Tournament – $60/team (special championships apparel item included)
- Sunday – King or Queen-of-the-Beach – $20/player
Registration will open after the start of the Carolina Region Jr Beach Tour. As space permits, non-qualified teams will be notified in order of their rankings for the year in early/mid July about a space being available for their team.
LIST OF QUALIFIED TEAMS – will be updated